Saturday, January 22, 2011

Coming Out of the Closet

My shoes are coming out of the closet -- literally! Why am I talking about shoes? Well I have bit of thing for shoes. I *heart* shoes! It is amazing that I don't have more shoes considering how much of a crush I have on them. I am of the opinion that you can tell a lot about a person based on their shoes. For the most part the last decade I have spent in sneaker and flip flops. My main job is "MOM" and with that there is a certain dress code. Sneakers and flip flops are on most Mom's dress code.

I can't help but reflect in the years past that I would wear heels, strappy sexy sandals, and wedges everyday. Heck, I used to be able to run in them! Now...I am lucky if I can just run!

Getting back to the topic at hand -- Shoes. The older I have gotten and the more weight I have put on I notice that I dress more for comfort than anything else. Now, this is not a bad thing. I have always dressed for comfort, but what was comfortable ten years ago is not so much anymore. Ten years I lived in sun dresses and high heeled sandals for the most part. Fast forward to today I live in jeans and Tee shirts....basically because it is hard to cross your legs once you reach a certain size. If I can't cross my legs than I sure don't be needing to wear a dress or skirt! Ewwww!

Anyways, one of the things I have been working on the last few years is meting myself where I am today. I do take good care of my appearance...or at least I like the way I look and dress, but I have been missing my shoes...my hot shoes! In December I made a commitment to get back to my love -- shoes. I bought three new pairs. Unfortunately, for the most part, they have been sitting in my closet collecting dust. I decided that maybe I needed to start small, so I committed to wearing flats and that has worked, but my itch for the "sexy" heels and boots needed to be scratched so today I came out of the closet in my black platform nail head heels.

Let's take a closer look at my love -- shoes:

This is where I keep my seasonal shoes. Right now I have my fall and winter selection, but in about 6 weeks I will be swapping them out for my spring and summer collection.

Oh, but that is not all of them:

See the gray boots over on the end? Aren't those hot? I got those in December and have worn them 2 times out. Every time I do I feel goooooooood.

I thought I was done....I did not think I had anymore stashes of shoes until I turned around and saw this basket:

I forgot about my collection of flip flops. You know the shoes that are on my "MOM" dress code. How could I forget about these? I live in my flip flops! Look at them! Aren't they cute with the pink, polka dot, bling, and Victoria Secret ones. Sigh....I can't wait until summer so I can wear these again!

Oops.....I forgot about the basket that we keep downstairs full of shoes. Granted not all of these are mine, but a good amount are:


What is the point of all this talk about "shoes". I just think that in the morning when I get out of bed if I want to wear my hot black heels or my hooker grey boots I should. I mean who is gonna care? True, I am relearning how to walk in them, but the best way to do that is to put on my feet and do just that -- walk in them. It may not always be practical, but what would be the fun in that? Sometimes in life it is fun to do the impractical.

Today, I ventured out of my house to run errands and I wore my black nail head platform heels. Yep I went to the post office in them. I then went to Subway in them. AND I even grocery shopped in them! Here is proof:

Do you know what happened? It forced me to walk slower, thus taking in my surroundings and really making my outing kind of fun. Who knew that heels would have such an impact?

My point with this is far greater than shoes. I do have a deeper meaning to this whole discussion of shoes and that is instead of waiting to get to a certain size before can wearing pretty things just do it now. No better time than the present. It all goes back to living in the moment. Not only that, but I am far more successful on my "diet" when I feel good about myself -- shoes help me feel good! What makes you feel good? I challenge you do to it or wear it and see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. You're rockin those starlet heels! I wish I could wear heels. I can't walk 2 feet in them because I have worn flats for so long... and am content with that.
    Love your collection

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am guilty of buying hooker heels and not wearing them. I've gotten maybe 4 pairs in the last 5 months or so... and haven't worn any of them even once. Like you, I want to be a certain weight to be able to allowed into my pretty shoes again. Dumb huh. :(

    ReplyDelete