Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

I learned how to make cupcakes in an ice cream cone a few years back. I heard somewhere that ice cream cones do well in the oven and will not burn like most things will in the oven. I thought how cool it would be to make cupcakes in them and totally avoid the mess of a traditional cupcake and it's wrapping. Not only that, but have you ever had a cupcake that lost half of it with the wrapper? Not the case with a cone -- the whole thing is eaten and no crumbs! I hate crumbs! LOL! Come to find out I am not the inventor of these. I found out a few months later that a lot of people do these! Here is how I make mine and of course my kids help.

First mix up your preferred cake mix as directed on the box (I made lemon this time). Next, take 24 ice cream cones and pack them in as tight as you can in a baking dish. It is important that you get them tight so they don't tip over! Now, fill your cones about 2/3 full. You don't want to fill them to the rim because it makes frosting them really hard. Cook them at 350*F for about 20 minutes. Sometimes these take longer depending on how tightly they are packed together. This is the finished cooked cone:

As the cupcakes cool whip up some frosting. I don't like the canned frosting. It does not taste as good as mine and it ends up costing much more than if I just make it myself. I don't have a recipe for frosting. I just kind of eyeball it as I go. My mom was a cake decorator for some time. Over so many years of watching her make frosting I just learned how to do it. Not only that, but I am a frosting...so....no canned crap...I mean....errrr.....canned frosting for us. To get you started on making your own start off with this and add ingredients as needed until you get the right consistency.
Combine 1/2 C butter (1 stick), 1/3 C vegetable shorting, a pinch of salt, half of a bag of the largest powdered sugar you can find, and about 1/8 C milk. Now mix that all up. I usually add vanilla to mine, but since my cupcakes were lemon I added lemon extract. The extract is pretty important. Without it the frosting taste too sugary...if that makes any sense. If your frosting is runny then add more powdered sugar. If it is the consistency of dough than add just a little bit of milk and maybe some melted butter. I know this is not very clear, but frosting just takes practice. I have never found a recipe that is fool proof that works well all the time. I always have to adjust it.
Once you have your frosting ready it is time to frost your cones. This is so easy! You simply dip them in the frosting and twist.

Be careful that when you twist you don't move to fast because you could lose your top! No no no not THAT top, but your cupcake top. If you do it is no big deal. Just throw it back on and try again! We like to dig twist and then kind of slide it up on the bowl ;-)

Now sprinkle them:

Finally you have a fun bunch of Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad to know that twisting them in the frosting won't cause me to lose my top. I just hate it when that happens LOL

    My Mom used to make ice cream cupcakes for us when we were kids... and as a parent I made them for school functions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot, I am so happy now I know how to make those things. I will make them for my daughters birthday or even for mine. they look great. Thanks also for the frosting recipe, I discovered a year ago that mine tasted too sugary. Now I understand why. lol.

    ReplyDelete