Wednesday, August 10, 2011

$165 to Get my Bathroom Back is Worth It!

I have a house with three bathrooms, yet the children like the Master Bathroom best. I must confess that I did encourage this in the beginning...I mean it was just easier to have everything in one central location. Everything in easy reach and everything in MY control. However, now that they are getting older it is not the best arrangement. In fact, it gets me down right frustrated! See, my favorite time of the day is shower time. That can turn into my worst time of day if I am met with a wet soppy towel (or no towel usually because my kids use them and dump them on their bedroom floor) or my shampoo or conditioner are spilt (I use Victoria Secret "So Sexy" line and let's just say that my daughter really likes it too!). Now, in the morning, the children are coming into my bathroom to brush their teeth and do their hair. Uh....NO! This morning I went into my bathroom that I had recently cleaned and nearly popped! Not only did my little angels manage to spill toothpaste....more like smear toothpaste....all over my shiny counter they also got into my styling aid and used half the bottle! Again, I use Victoria Secret. I was mad....

I stood there and cried.....

I then decided that enough is enough!

So, after I worked off my frustration at the gym, cleaned the outside of the refrigerator, organized my Tupperware cupboard in the kitchen, and did two loads of laundry I was able to calm down enough to have a little chit chat with my children. Now, please understand that I was still mad at this point and I was trying to be as logical and come up with a solution to keep them out of my bathroom and out of my stuff. I am so glad that my kids are at the age where they are wanting to smell good and look nice, so I knew I had to handle this delicately to encourage that, but also scare them out of my bathroom!!!!!!!!

I had them first help me clean out the three drawers in their bathroom and we came up with a list of things that each of them needed. Then we hit Target and I let them pick out their soaps, shampoo, combs and so on. They were super duper happy that they got their own stuff and it smelled good and promised to use only it....now I know my job was not done. So, off we went, back home to put it away and have a little chat. I called each in to the bathroom and made them hang up their towel and put their stuff in the right drawers. I then told them that for the next week they were not even allowed to touch their stuff until I knew they were responsible to use it properly. I mean, if they are going to have grown up items they need to treat them as such. So, for the next week I will be walking them through the steps of what to do in the morning and in the evening, but knowing that they will not ever use my shower again is well worth it!


Hopefully this will work. It is hard not to dream of a towel that is just mine...ALL MINE!!!! Please please please my dear little ones stay out of my bathroom forever! Thank you, your mother.

2 comments:

  1. As a family with only one bathroom (currently without a working shower...) I do completely understand. One thing I hope for next house is an en suite/master bathroom again.

    Hope it works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing you.....this will work and in less time that you think. First off you are smart and handled it without blowing a fuse and second you got them their own product. (Most parents wouldn't do that).

    Regarding the towels on the floor.....my 27 year old still doesn't know how to hang up his freaking towel!

    ReplyDelete