Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Facebook Challenge

Over the past few years I have noticed that my time on Facebook has gotten out of control It seems like I pop over there at least a dozen times a day. Before I had my Droid it was not so bad, but now that it is on my phone I find myself on that site while I wait in line at the store, wait for the light to change, wait for my kids to get out of school, and whenever there is any down time in my day. I like that I can keep up with people I care about who are local and not local through the cyber coffee house of the world. However, occasionally I feel like it is junior high all over again -- drama. I wish I could say that I don't participate in the drama, but that would be a lie. Sometimes I get my gut full of it and let the person know which leads to break down in relationships.

It dawned on me about 6 months ago that most of my relationship break downs started because of FB status updates. I wish I could say that it was the other person, but that would be false. Although I do tend to keep my status updates general, funny, or just random occasionally I do post things that are emotionally charged. This is wrong and I have been working really hard to not do this anymore. I used to read through the status, see something that seriously irritate me and reacted on my status. So mature right? NOT!

I have come to the conclusion that if it is not directed at me then I am just not going to react to it. Even if the person is posting something that offends me and the majority of people I know, it is not my job nor responsibility to call them out on it. I simply just pass over it. After all I have far to many flaws of my own to get caught up on the postings of another. However, if something is posted that is about me and they say (Betsie....this or that) then I do address it, but not in my status -- with the person.

The last two or three months I have been spending far to much of my precious time on being non offensive and not getting my panties in a knot over FB. It is not like I don't have anything better to do -- because I do. I then decided about a week ago that I would just step away from my beloved cyber coffee house -- FB for a month or so. Don't get me wrong, I do not think that FB is bad. In fact, I love FB because it does keep me close and active in the lives of those I care about. It makes the world so much more smaller and offers up a way to communicate with those we care about and see pictures of them. I love that  I have friends all over the world that I can interact with on a daily basis. It is great! However FB was starting to take more of a main act in my life instead of the supporting role that it should have. I have to put it in it's place again and that means stepping away for awhile and focusing on the main acts of my life.

I can't wait to go back and catch up with my friends. I miss them a lot! However, I am totally enjoying getting back to the simple things in life-- like scrap booking and  walks without my phone stuffed in my bra (yeah...that is where I keep my phone when I exercise so that I can check it with ease). The break from FB is nice to say the least. I can't believe how much more time I have in my day and how I am not irritate with those that I care about most. Sometimes I think ignorance is bliss. When I go back I will be modifying my behaviour. I will continue to keep my status updates light, fun, and thought provoking from time to time. However, I will be limiting my time on FB and putting it back in the proper role and that is of support.

No comments:

Post a Comment